Square Enix held a press conference in Japan today and released a truck load of new information. The company has confirmed the game will stay on Wii, but also be available for Wii U. Satoru Iwata even made an appearance and talked up the game along with a brief mention of the Zelda 25th Anniversary. Here is a full run down of what was announced:
- Name: Dragon Quest X: Rise of the Five Tribes Online
- For Wii, Wii U
- Is an online RPG
- Can play the Wii version then transfer to the Wii U version
- Wii U version will have better graphics, but same world
- First internally developed Dragon Quest game at Square Enix
- Intro made by Visual Works
- Wii version to be hopefully sometime in 2012, but no date set for Wii U
- Game has a huge story according to Producer Yosuke Saito
- Might be some 3DS connectivity with SpotPass to transfer your character
- World has 5 continents and 5 different races/tribes
- Characters can be placed in Luida’s bar for other players to use and gain EXP
- Beta will be coming
- Unknown if there will be a monthly fee
I managed to capture video of Mr. Iwata speaking, but no audio until about a minute in. Also captured is gameplay, but that has no audio as well unfortunately.
An official site in Japanese has been opened for the game where presumably Japanese folks can sign up for the beta.
A huge thanks to Nayan Ramachandran for translating a few bits!